#601: Felted Fabrics
Thu, Jun 21 – Fri, Jun 22 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Class Fee: $345
Early Bird: $50 OFF! If you register by May 15!
Painting with silk fabrics onto felting wool Create your own unique fabric The term 'NUNO felt', the combination of fabric and wool, is well known by now. But in this lecture we take it a step further: We cut up uni- or multicoloured thin fabrics or tear them up into small to big pieces. We then reassemble them into realistic pictures or abstract colour compositions. We add bits and pieces such as felted cords, effect yarns, brocade, sequins, etc. After that we put down the wool, felt it together and out comes a superb new fabric, the basis for a unique new piece of your wardrobe. It just needs your creative mind, patience and perseverance.
A material fee (to be determined) will be collected at the class. Please plan on paying the material fee when you come to the event.
Students Must Bring:
- 2 normal sized and 2 big towels
- 4-6 plastic garbage bags of about 120 l (if possible welded together at the bottom without pleats) or 4-6 r.m. bubble foil, about 120 cm wide
- A roll of adhesive tape, about 6-8 cm wide
- Water sprinkler
- Plastic basin (of about 1 litre)
- 1 piece of a synthetic fibre curtain of about 50 x 50 cm to facilitate the beginning of the felting process
- Very sharp scissors
- 2 pool noodles or cardboard tubes, about 150 cm long
- An old bed sheet
- A roll of string
- Your own felting equipment
- 300 - 500 g wool- preferably fine merino wool (18 mic) in matts (not tops)
- 4,5 - 5 sq.m. thin natural fabrics - preferably silk (no synthetic fibres since they might be difficult to combine with wool)
- Fine effect yarns - not necessary but fun