#101: Inkjet Printing on Fabric for Nuno Felts
Thursday, June 21 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Class Fee: $245
Early Bird: $50 OFF! If you register by May 15!
On this very experimental workshop you will learn how to transfer stored images onto fabric using an ink jet printer. You will produce sample pieces of work in a day that you can combine with different materials and embroidery. The printed images will be felted as they are or you can chop them up once printed and make a collage on a felt backing. You may have a theme to work to or try a variety of scenes/objects/people/animals. For good results choose an image that has a clear contrast of light and shadow, clear dark outlines such as tree trunks, shore lines etc Colour can be printed as well as black and white images but you always lose some of the colour during the felting process. The results are experimental. You will go home with work that can then be framed as an individual art piece or stitched to make an item where ever your imagination takes you!!
A material fee (to be determined) will be collected at the class. Please plan on paying the material fee when you come to the event.
Available For Purchase:
- The use of:
- Ironing board
- Hair dryers
Students Must Bring:
- A selection of silks suitable for nuno felting , silk chiffon, silk organza, silk muslin. Minimum size just a bit bigger than size A4 as we have to iron them on to paper to feed through the printer.
- DO NOT BRING SYNTHETIC FABRICS the ink will not fix to them.
- Quantity depends on time and how many you would like to print. I will bring with me a few already printed on the day to purchase to allow us to felt whilst you wait your turn to print.
- Fibres and needle felt – white works great but it is also great to experiment with other colours from dark to light.
- Needle felt – approx 1 square metre, can be more depends on how hard you work!
- A selection of wool tops or other yarns that we can add to the felts for extra colour or texture, maybe total quantity approx 400 grams colours to suit
- Felting kit (bubble wrap, towel, water sprinkler, soap, net, a wide bowl).
- Notebook and pen
- Sharp scissors
- Selection of embroidery threads and needles if you wish to embellish with stitch
- Small selection of other silk fibres or dyed small pieces fabrics suitable for felting or what you use for surface decoration as these may be incorporated to blend your images into your felt and to connect the images together.
- USB stick with your images you would like to print, can be as you have taken them or photo shopped. Good contrasting lines and shapes work better.
- A minimum of 2 photos emailed to instructor to print before the course and supplied on the day.